I’ll admit it. I’m a bit of a handbag junkie. I don’t only like to buy handbags, I love shopping for them in my favorite colors: purple, copper, pink and black. I enjoy a variety types of materials, too, such as tapestry, cotton, straw, leather and vinyl.
The style of purse I prefer is the tote size. This is because I have so many things I can’t bear to leave home without. I often carry my iPad and kindle with me, so a bigger purse is definitely in order. Not to mention items I carry back and forth with me to church, which is a huge part of my life as a pastor’s wife.
I’ve actually won handbag contests before. In fact, the last contest I won in four categories: “Most Unusual,” “Silliest,” “Prettiest” and “Most Elegant!”
I try not to be obsessive but it’s hard when there are so many to choose from!
However, I’m thinking I may have a bit of a problem.
The other day when I put my handbag on the passenger seat, my car told my purse to put on a seat belt. Apparently my handbag is as heavy as a human!
After that happened, I became curious about the contents of my bag. Just what did I have in there? So I emptied it out and took a picture:
Now, admittedly, it looks like a lot. But let me explain the purpose behind it all:
- Wallet — for holding items such as credit cards, cash, receipts and driver’s license
- Hand sanitizer with a decorative little elephant on the outside of it
- Flipper for my mouth (don’t ask)
- Three colors of nail polish. Okay, I forgot to take two of them out when I wasn’t wearing those colors anymore
- Sunblock–three containers. I only need one, I realize, but two of them were almost gone and I wanted to use them up. (I get sun poisoning and can’t have any exposed skin in the sun or I break out in boils.)
- Three notebooks for jotting down ideas. I’m a writer, yo.
- Business card case
- The twins’ medications (I hadn’t taken them out since vacation)
- Two pairs of glasses — one for computer, one for driving
- A pair of sunglasses for reading
- My kindle
- Wipes for hands
- Glass wipes for my glasses
- Post-it tabs
- Battery and cable to charge phone
- Dental floss
- Makeup bag in which there is two lipsticks, a compact, tweezers and blush
- Business cards from other people
- Glass cleaner for glasses
- Seven tubes of hand lotion.
- Large mound of receipts from vacation a month ago
- Bottle of Advil
- Latex gloves for taking my mother-in-law to the little girl’s room (it can get interesting)
- My phone would be in there but I used it to take the picture.
Now, before you judge me for seven tubes of hand lotion, I didn’t know there were that many in there! I can’t stand for my hands to be dry. It’s a thing with me.
Apparently I’m not the only one willing to divulge the contents of her purse. According to The Telegraph, the Queen of England (who is always seen with a handbag on her walk-abouts) has the following items in her handbag:
“…Buried alongside everyday items such as a mirror and lipstick, is always a crisply folded £5 note to donate to the church collection on Sundays.
Sally Bedell Smith, author of Elizabeth the Queen: The Woman Behind The Throne, claims that among the bag’s other secrets are a portable hook, which is used to hang it discreetly under tables.
The 85-year-old monarch’s church donation sometimes increases to £10 but apparently that is as generous a donation as she chooses to make.”
So now I’m wondering–what’s in your handbag? If you decide to blog about it, I’ll edit this post and link to you! Just send me the URL when it’s up!
If you’d rather just leave a comment, I’d love that, too. I’m snoopy that way.